We went dip-netting for the first time this year. My co-worker Chad invited us to go with him and his family. I am so grateful for all the help they gave us and all the tips and tricks he taught us. We were able to stay in another co-worker's cabin which was way better than the tent we were planning on. It was an exhausting trip to the mouth of the Kenai and back, but we were so blessed to come home with 34 fish! We thought we had reached our 35 limit but miscounted at some point. I'd rather be one short than one over! If you get caught with extra fish, it is a $100 per fish fine plus they can seize your whole catch. Definitely not something I want to do! I wish I had been able to get pictures of each part of the trip, but it just doesn't work out too well when your hands are covered in fish and you are working so fast you don't even have time to eat. Maybe next year I'll try and do better! :-)
| The beautiful hand-built cabin we stayed in. |
| The wonderful view....at 4 A.M. |
![]() |
| Chad getting ready to get in the water. |
Aaron and Chad in the water.
My first fish!! (It was still moving at this point haha!)
The products of our first dip net trip!
We also were able to finally replace the carpet upstairs in our house. It involved ripping all the old carpet out ourselves, getting the help from various friends to help move furniture around, painting the ceilings, and touch-up all those wall spots you find a year later!
Mattie doesn't appreciate home improvements when it involves moving her bed around.
She is an engineer's dog...
Ike loves when the beds begin to look like this! He does it EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!
My goal this summer was to run in some of the various races around the area. But due to my ongoing health, that just wasn't an option. Instead, we decided to run in the 300 yard Running with the Bears at the annual Bear Paw festival. I figured I could do that far anyhow! We ended up running with our little friends (who looked WAY cooler than we did!!) and that made it quite the memory! Plus, I realized later that it was Aaron's first race. So that was very cool too.
Miss Lily and her parents came over for dinner and Cole's birthday cake. Plus, it was the perfect opportunity for Lily to go swimming for the first time!! (In Alaska, that means the hot tub, even in summer!) She was so funny and absolutely loved being in the warm water.



GREAT pictures! And, I'm impressed you actually caught something :) I tried two years ago and the current was WAY to strong for me. I am a wimp apparently. We didn't dipnet this year...but maybe I'll have to give it another shot next year :)
ReplyDeleteI agree Sarah - sometimes the current can be really rough (literally). My mom fell down a bunch a few years ago. Great job Kate!!! Nice that you had someone with clean hands to take photos too! Maybe next summer the two of can try running a race or two (if I can get up to that "level") :-)
ReplyDelete