Saturday, August 18, 2012

Vows

Last night, we watched the movie The Vow for the first time. And I'm not ashamed to say that I am currently re-watching it while Aaron is out with friends :-) There is something about this movie that resonates with me. I don't mind the "chick flick" movies, although my favorites are ones with a little more action. However, that's not the say that I don't appreciate a good movie or book! And add in a few extra points if it is based on a true story.

Beyond all the superficial Hollywood "boy and girl meet, fall in love, get married, disaster happens, they fall apart, they get back together, etc" there is a deeper story here. What would you do if you woke up and didn't remember your life? Your loved ones? Who you are? How would you cope? And what would you do if that was your loved one? Most of us promise in our wedding vows to be with each other in both sickness and in health. But what if that sickness means the person you love doesn't even remember who you are, let alone one moment of your relationship. I can't even fathom the pain involved for such a situation. Knowing that this was based on a real couple's story, it seemed even more realistic than a lot of the other Hollywood movies. Would I pursue Aaron with everything I could if he were to forget me? Would I stay true to my vows that I made? My head and my heart say yes right now, but if I were put in that situation, I can only pray I would act in the same way. And what if I were the one who forgot? Would I honor the vows I made if I couldn't even remember them?

I know that the original couple were disappointed that their strong Christian faith wasn't evident in the movie like it was in their real lives. But I personally think that you can see undercurrents of it throughout the movie. Especially with Leo, the husband. The way he refuses to give up on Paige, even when she can't remember their past relationship and seems unwilling to pursue a new one, speaks of a deeper love. In fact, it reminds me of the deepest love of all. God will pursue us as long and far and wide as we run. He won't ever quit and for that I am eternally grateful. To be so undeserving of a commitment like that and yet receive it is hard for me to get my human mind wrapped around. His is the fiercest love of all and I am the recipient! And it's even better than the commitments Aaron and I made to each other. 

"I vow to fiercely love you, in all your forms, now and forever. I promise to never forget that this is a once in a lifetime love."

Those are such true words that each one of us should never forget and strive to live out each and every day that we have been given. I vow to God to never forget His love for me and to follow His example in return. To live and love each day being the best woman I can be. I also vow to Aaron to love him in every way possible, no matter where our life together goes, no matter how difficult the tough times might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment