Monday, July 30, 2012

Quick Recap

Evidently it's been awhile since I last posted on this blog. Since early May according to the last date stamp in fact. I'd like to say that we have just been busy enjoying the summer, working on the house, and being outdoors as much as possible. While we have done some of that, there has been a lot of other things going on too. I've been sick. And hurting. And that doesn't make for the best blog posts. But I decided I might as well do a bit of updating and see where it takes me!

The week before Memorial Day was a tough one. My aunt and uncle had to put their old dog Max after several months of his failing health. Furball the cat and I lived with Donna, Dennis, and Max for almost a year while I was on my externship and before I moved to Alaska. Those two had a hate-love-hate relationship. But the last few months, they played chase up and down the stairs almost every night. It was far better than any TV program.




In the middle of the week, my grandma died. She had Alzheimer's disease and hadn't known me for a year or more. I know it was mostly because I saw her so infrequently but it was still tough to see her that way. The last few months she hadn't known most of the family and only her kids off and on. The day before she died though, she was blessed with clarity and even recognized my younger sister (unfortunately Meg was one of the first people Grandma didn't recognize). I am so thankful we were home in March to celebrate her 81st birthday. She was having a good day then and we were able to get the last pictures Aaron and I had with her.





Saturday morning, I had a text from my mom saying the family dog died in the middle of the night. Hannah was our rescue girl. She was a mixture of all sorts of breeds and was a tough girl through and through. She had been failing in health the last three months and my mom was agonizing what to do about her. We are so glad that her worst days were very few in numbers and overall she was healthy until the very end. Other than mild arthritis, she had been a very healthy dog. (I'll have to add pictures once I get off the couch and connect the hard drive haha).

 Maggie, the other family dog, seemed to get pretty depressed after Hannah's death but after a few weeks seems to be doing well once again (plus a few pounds from the spoiling mom did!!!). I was able to fly home for Grandma's funeral, which I am so grateful for. I was able to see family and especially my dad. It was a quick trip, but completely worth it. 


The tradition of surprising my sister in a group photo is several years old now. You would think she would remember it's coming at some point!!


 We might be a bit odd at times....but it was so wonderful to have a fun dinner with my mom, sister, and cousin Amanda. I'm not sure who thought of the straws first, but I'm sure it wasn't me!


I love them so very much!! And thanks to our waiter who put up with our goofiness!



No comments:

Post a Comment