Sunday, February 26, 2012

Good Days, Bad Days

Some days it seems even the simple things are tougher than they normally are. And as it seems to frequently happen, those days come in quick succession. Its when these days come that its hard to find the good and happy details. I usually struggle a bit this time of year and this year is proving to be no different.
We've been having a very tough month, here in our little Alaskan household. I've been sick for over a month now and today marks day 27 on antibiotics. My body is not only refusing to fully heal, but I'm also going through some unpleasant side effects of those antibiotics. In short, I'm completely frustrated and exhausted with the entire situation. I just want to feel well again. 
My family back home is going through a lot of hard days. We are still getting used to the fact my uncle is gone and that has had quite the toll in addition to all the events of the last year. They are all struggling in various ways and its tough that we are so far away for everything. My dad's health continues to deteriorate. He spent 10 days in the hospital and has recently been moved back to the Manor. While it's good for him to have around the clock care, it's very difficult for him to live with. And the stress on my mom doesn't go away just because he's there instead of home. It just changes. And that doesn't make anything easier.  
In addition to my health, Aaron was gone for several weeks on a work trip and is leaving again this week for a second trip. Hopefully this is a short one like it's planned, but we never know how the weather will delay his flight home. Him being gone and me being sick was a lot harder than either of us thought it would be. It was the most emotionally demanding trip thus far. On a side note, I'm so thankful for our nice neighbor that helped me deal with the ice and snow on our driveway (and on Valentine's Day no less!). There was no physical way I could have done it all on my own.
So, in an effort to avoid all the gloom (which is tough considering we are stuck in the middle of a long winter), we were able to spend five days with Aaron's relatives in California. It was a great trip that I am so grateful we had the chance to make. I was able to meet his grandparents, Oma and Opa, for the first time. They are wonderful people who welcomed me with open arms. He also has two sets of aunts and uncles with their children living in the same area. We got to attend the high school basketball game, go bowling, visit Yosemite and the Giant Sequoia trees, go wine tasting, and a whole lot of site seeing. Overall, it was warm (to us anyhow!) weather with some sun and definitely a much needed breather from our ice and snow and dark.
I have another doctor's appointment in the morning. Here's to praying I feel better soon and life in general takes a turn for the better! We're tired of the way things have been going lately!!!

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you guys. We should get together!! Maybe a painting party at our house this weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I just saw your comment! If I was feeling better, I would have loved to help you guys yesterday!!

      Delete